Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Support
  • MyRoute-app
Collapse
Brand Logo

MRA Community Forum

  1. Home
  2. MyRoute-app Routeplanner
  3. [Web] Suggestions and Discussion
  4. How to import gpx - via Route or Route-Track?

How to import gpx - via Route or Route-Track?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved [Web] Suggestions and Discussion
12 Posts 6 Posters 490 Views 4 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Con Hennekens Con Hennekens

    @KaTo6668, Importing as route imports only the routepoints. The actual route is then calculated according to the settings (quickest/shortest, avoid options etc.) so the shape of your route can be different after import.

    Importing as route track imports only the track (if available in the sourcefile) so you will lose any route points, but your track is shaped like the original route.

    It all depends on your own preferences. I usually import both, and shape the route according to the track manually by adding shaping points. That way you do not lose routepoints, and you can add a lot of information to the route that can be handy while navigating. If you are not interested in such thing, navigating the track is perfectly fine.

    KaTo6668
    KaTo6668
    KaTo6668
    wrote last edited by
    #3

    @Con-Hennekens Thank you very much for your fast reply.
    Your approach is exactly what I had in mind.
    Import route and track, compare them, and then finalize/shape the route with additional shaping points.

    Maybe you can also answer the following question for me:
    Unfortunately, shaping points in the MRA Routeplanner are displayed just as large as route points (via points), just with a different marker.
    I believe I can hide shaping points during navigation with MRA Navigation Next?
    Is that also possible in the MRA Routeplanner, or at least to display the waypoints much smaller? There may be reasons for the size of the waypoints, but for me, their size makes route planning confusing...
    Thank you.

    Con Hennekens 1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

      @Con-Hennekens Thank you very much for your fast reply.
      Your approach is exactly what I had in mind.
      Import route and track, compare them, and then finalize/shape the route with additional shaping points.

      Maybe you can also answer the following question for me:
      Unfortunately, shaping points in the MRA Routeplanner are displayed just as large as route points (via points), just with a different marker.
      I believe I can hide shaping points during navigation with MRA Navigation Next?
      Is that also possible in the MRA Routeplanner, or at least to display the waypoints much smaller? There may be reasons for the size of the waypoints, but for me, their size makes route planning confusing...
      Thank you.

      Con Hennekens
      Con Hennekens
      Con Hennekens
      Alpha tester
      wrote last edited by
      #4

      @KaTo6668, No there is no method for differentiating the size of shaping- and via points. Not in the planner and not in the app. To be honest I don't see a reason for them to be different in size. They both have the same purpose: define a route. If it is bothersome for you, you probably use too many routepoints to begin with 😉

      Also there is no way of hiding shapingpoints of a route while navigating. In the current public version there is an option to hide shaping points when the feature "navigate route as track" is enabled. But I need to warn you that in the upcoming V6 version things considering track navigation will be different.

      Please uphold the the correct terminology:

      • Routepoints are waypoints that define a route
      • Shaping points are routepoints that can be skipped automatically when missed
      • Via points are routepoints that cannot be skipped automatically when missed

      I am just an enthusiastic MRA user, and hope you will be one too!

      Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the saddle.

      Check out RideSleepRepeat.eu, a biker community for sharing stays across Europe

      martin-phogel.de KaTo6668 2 Replies Last reply
      0
      • Con Hennekens Con Hennekens

        @KaTo6668, No there is no method for differentiating the size of shaping- and via points. Not in the planner and not in the app. To be honest I don't see a reason for them to be different in size. They both have the same purpose: define a route. If it is bothersome for you, you probably use too many routepoints to begin with 😉

        Also there is no way of hiding shapingpoints of a route while navigating. In the current public version there is an option to hide shaping points when the feature "navigate route as track" is enabled. But I need to warn you that in the upcoming V6 version things considering track navigation will be different.

        Please uphold the the correct terminology:

        • Routepoints are waypoints that define a route
        • Shaping points are routepoints that can be skipped automatically when missed
        • Via points are routepoints that cannot be skipped automatically when missed
        martin-phogel.de
        martin-phogel.de
        martin-phogel.de
        wrote last edited by
        #5

        @Con-Hennekens sagte:
        in the upcoming V6 version things considering track navigation will be different.

        In which way?

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • Con Hennekens Con Hennekens

          @KaTo6668, No there is no method for differentiating the size of shaping- and via points. Not in the planner and not in the app. To be honest I don't see a reason for them to be different in size. They both have the same purpose: define a route. If it is bothersome for you, you probably use too many routepoints to begin with 😉

          Also there is no way of hiding shapingpoints of a route while navigating. In the current public version there is an option to hide shaping points when the feature "navigate route as track" is enabled. But I need to warn you that in the upcoming V6 version things considering track navigation will be different.

          Please uphold the the correct terminology:

          • Routepoints are waypoints that define a route
          • Shaping points are routepoints that can be skipped automatically when missed
          • Via points are routepoints that cannot be skipped automatically when missed
          KaTo6668
          KaTo6668
          KaTo6668
          wrote last edited by
          #6

          @Con-Hennekens Thanks again for your fast reply.
          You're absolutely right; shaping points and via points define a route and are equivalent within the route definition.
          But beside of the route definition, they are not equivalent.

          A shaping point should simply defines the route's path. Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason. And since it’s really only meant to define the route’s path, there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting. That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

          A via point must or should be visited because it’s important to the planner for whatever reason (break, coffee, refueling, hotel, etc.).
          That’s why I asked about different icon sizes in the MRA Routeplanner - because they aren’t all equally important.

          And yes, maybe I sometimes use too many shaping points, but sometimes it’s necessary to define the exact route - and then things get confusing.
          But that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via point.
          Even though I’m new to MRA and certainly don’t know many of its features yet, I really like the program 🙂

          Marinus van Deudekom Brian McG Con Hennekens 3 Replies Last reply
          0
          • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

            @Con-Hennekens Thanks again for your fast reply.
            You're absolutely right; shaping points and via points define a route and are equivalent within the route definition.
            But beside of the route definition, they are not equivalent.

            A shaping point should simply defines the route's path. Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason. And since it’s really only meant to define the route’s path, there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting. That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

            A via point must or should be visited because it’s important to the planner for whatever reason (break, coffee, refueling, hotel, etc.).
            That’s why I asked about different icon sizes in the MRA Routeplanner - because they aren’t all equally important.

            And yes, maybe I sometimes use too many shaping points, but sometimes it’s necessary to define the exact route - and then things get confusing.
            But that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via point.
            Even though I’m new to MRA and certainly don’t know many of its features yet, I really like the program 🙂

            Marinus van Deudekom
            Marinus van Deudekom
            Marinus van Deudekom
            RouteXpert
            wrote last edited by
            #7

            @KaTo6668 said:

            I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via poin

            For instance if you want to add some spoken information about that shapingpoint, or the place where you've placed it. If you add tekst in the textfield of a shapingpoint that will be spoken, if you've activated that in your settings. Like "a beautifull statue on your right"

            Honda Goldwing GL1500,
            Honda Silverwing GL 650
            DMD2 T865X 8 inch Android tablet using MRA next for navigation
            Garmin XT sold
            Samsung S24FE mounted on a Quadlock and using Android Auto in my car

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

              @Con-Hennekens Thanks again for your fast reply.
              You're absolutely right; shaping points and via points define a route and are equivalent within the route definition.
              But beside of the route definition, they are not equivalent.

              A shaping point should simply defines the route's path. Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason. And since it’s really only meant to define the route’s path, there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting. That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

              A via point must or should be visited because it’s important to the planner for whatever reason (break, coffee, refueling, hotel, etc.).
              That’s why I asked about different icon sizes in the MRA Routeplanner - because they aren’t all equally important.

              And yes, maybe I sometimes use too many shaping points, but sometimes it’s necessary to define the exact route - and then things get confusing.
              But that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via point.
              Even though I’m new to MRA and certainly don’t know many of its features yet, I really like the program 🙂

              Brian McG
              Brian McG
              Brian McG
              wrote last edited by
              #8

              @KaTo6668 I think having the shaping point appear in the upper right is excellent, for me it is really useful as I colour code my shaping points
              if there is some information about the road ahead I will colour code that shaping point pink & add text either into the point name or notes
              it could be something like "Warning tarmac end - road turns to gravel ahead" or "Warning sharp right bend after blind crest"
              seeing the colour coded point well in advance means I am well aware of the that a hazard is coming up ahead

              I don't want these points t be Via points as it is not necessary for me to pass them, but if I am on the correct path I would like the warning

              if your only interested in times/distances to Via points just toggle through the 3 settings of the large ETA button at the bottom centre of the screen

              BlackView BV7100, Android 12
              Navigate "Routes as Tracks" in Offline mode with Offline Maps
              No Wifi, no internet, no interruptions, works well

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • KaTo6668
                KaTo6668
                KaTo6668
                wrote last edited by
                #9

                @marinus-van-deudekom @brian-mcg
                Thanks for your input about how you use the additional shaping points features. Never thought about to use them that way and maybe never will, but I understand how you use them and what your benefit is. Right now for me the scenarios you mentioned are still via point topics. But maybe I get it when I use MRA longer 🙂

                Marinus van Deudekom 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

                  @marinus-van-deudekom @brian-mcg
                  Thanks for your input about how you use the additional shaping points features. Never thought about to use them that way and maybe never will, but I understand how you use them and what your benefit is. Right now for me the scenarios you mentioned are still via point topics. But maybe I get it when I use MRA longer 🙂

                  Marinus van Deudekom
                  Marinus van Deudekom
                  Marinus van Deudekom
                  RouteXpert
                  wrote last edited by
                  #10

                  @KaTo6668 I rarely color my shaping points. Just pointed out the possibility
                  Have fun

                  Honda Goldwing GL1500,
                  Honda Silverwing GL 650
                  DMD2 T865X 8 inch Android tablet using MRA next for navigation
                  Garmin XT sold
                  Samsung S24FE mounted on a Quadlock and using Android Auto in my car

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

                    @Con-Hennekens Thanks again for your fast reply.
                    You're absolutely right; shaping points and via points define a route and are equivalent within the route definition.
                    But beside of the route definition, they are not equivalent.

                    A shaping point should simply defines the route's path. Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason. And since it’s really only meant to define the route’s path, there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting. That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

                    A via point must or should be visited because it’s important to the planner for whatever reason (break, coffee, refueling, hotel, etc.).
                    That’s why I asked about different icon sizes in the MRA Routeplanner - because they aren’t all equally important.

                    And yes, maybe I sometimes use too many shaping points, but sometimes it’s necessary to define the exact route - and then things get confusing.
                    But that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via point.
                    Even though I’m new to MRA and certainly don’t know many of its features yet, I really like the program 🙂

                    Con Hennekens
                    Con Hennekens
                    Con Hennekens
                    Alpha tester
                    wrote last edited by
                    #11

                    @KaTo6668, it's quite funny how you confess to be new to MRA but have nor problem telling them or me how shaping points should or should not work... 😉

                    Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason.

                    The reason is that it can be very helpful to add information to a route point, even if can be skipped automatically, why not?

                    there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting.

                    It IS the default setting... I am missing the point why that would be a problem.

                    That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

                    I think most users would get mad if it got dropped... Well, to be honest I think you should experience for yourself how MRA works. MRA is not trying to copy your previous method of navigation. Try to be a bit less biased towards that and just learn how MRA works. There are reasons for MRA to work like it does.

                    I am just an enthusiastic MRA user, and hope you will be one too!

                    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the saddle.

                    Check out RideSleepRepeat.eu, a biker community for sharing stays across Europe

                    M. Schrijver 1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • Con Hennekens Con Hennekens

                      @KaTo6668, it's quite funny how you confess to be new to MRA but have nor problem telling them or me how shaping points should or should not work... 😉

                      Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason.

                      The reason is that it can be very helpful to add information to a route point, even if can be skipped automatically, why not?

                      there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting.

                      It IS the default setting... I am missing the point why that would be a problem.

                      That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

                      I think most users would get mad if it got dropped... Well, to be honest I think you should experience for yourself how MRA works. MRA is not trying to copy your previous method of navigation. Try to be a bit less biased towards that and just learn how MRA works. There are reasons for MRA to work like it does.

                      M. Schrijver
                      M. Schrijver
                      M. Schrijver
                      Valued contributor
                      wrote last edited by
                      #12

                      @Con-Hennekens said:

                      I think most users would get mad if it got dropped.

                      I will organize a party when the blue shaping points are dropped in the navigation.
                      I am glad i can put the same info to a shaping point as is possible with the Via Point. Because in my opinion Via points are the worst type of waypoints. I'se seen this on my last holdiay. Navigation on holidays gives enough food for discussion but due to the Via points in the routes some people almost dump their Zumo into the river.

                      (I use MRA Next only on Android Auto. Every comment, suggestion, etc will be based on my usage with Android Auto)

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      ACTIVE USERS
                      M. Schrijver
                      M. Schrijver
                      Con Hennekens
                      Con Hennekens
                      Brian McG
                      Brian McG
                      Marinus van Deudekom
                      Marinus van Deudekom
                      KaTo6668
                      KaTo6668
                      martin-phogel.de
                      martin-phogel.de
                      POPULAR TOPICS
                      • Waarom kan deze route niet berekend worden?
                        M. Schrijver
                        M. Schrijver
                        0
                        18
                        335

                      • A02 Routes en tracks kopiëren - Oude webplanner naar nieuwe webplanner
                        Corjan Meijerink
                        Corjan Meijerink
                        0
                        5
                        5

                      • test Myroute APP
                        Pim Groeneveld
                        Pim Groeneveld
                        4
                        19
                        1.7k

                      • Tour results and a question
                        Stephen Rowland
                        Stephen Rowland
                        0
                        3
                        16

                      • A01 - Kaartlaagweergave OpenStreetMap
                        Hubert Thori
                        Hubert Thori
                        0
                        3
                        13

                      • Hello from Thailand
                        Bull Tahr
                        Bull Tahr
                        0
                        5
                        178

                      • Android Auto draaien van het scherm bij stilstand
                        Rob Verhoeff
                        Rob Verhoeff
                        0
                        2
                        13

                      • How to plan correctly
                        Erdna
                        Erdna
                        0
                        9
                        378

                      MY GROUPS
                      • Login

                      • Login or register to search.
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Categories
                      • Recent
                      • Popular
                      • Support
                      • MyRoute-app